Podcast     Twitter     Facebook     Xbox 360 Deals     Playstation Deals     Nintendo Deals     PC & Mobile Deals     All Latest Deals 

Last visit was: It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Xbox 360 License Transfer Woes...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:14 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: hairyneville
Twitter Username: @hairyneville
Hello all,

Only seem to come here when I have a problem. Very unsociable of me and I apologise for it now...

My 360 recently died (it was a 2007 model so had a relatively long life) so - after consulting with Darren - I replaced it with a refurbished Arcade model from Gameplay (£99.99, good as new with full one-year warranty). (Note to Darren - I was too impatient to wait for the £89.99 refurbished Elite to come back in to stock!) My recently-purchased 250GB hard drive was full of stuff so I planned to just put it in the new 360 and game away.

Sadly Microsoft's dodgy DRM has spelt instant doom for that idea. Without being signed in to Xbox Live I can't access any of my fully paid for downloaded content. I rarely go online with the 360 so this is a bit of a bugger, to put it mildly.

I've read all the FAQs at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930017?sd=xbox and it seems that simply redownloading everything won't solve the problem. Apparently I need to use Microsoft's transfer tool to transfer the licenses which are associated with my now defunct console to the new one. Sadly it doesn't seem to exist anywhere, particularly where it should be ... http://www.xbox.com/DRM or http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/syste ... on/faq.htm

So, in summary, please HELP!

Any advice would be most welcome. I know this is a problem that loads of people have experienced in the past and I'm sure many more will encounter it in the future when they upgrade to a Slim 360. Bloody Microsoft... :()>

Cheers.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Xbox 360 License Transfer Woes...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:50 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Ugly Geezer
PSN Gamer Tag: UglyGeezer
Twitter Username: UglyGeezer
Steam Tag: UglyGeezer
I didn't use a transfer tool, but I did transfer my licences online @ Xbox.com and used this video. Your Xbox will have to be online and you might have to have the old licence number on your Xbox (you might not though, if the old consoles number is on Xbox .co.

This video might help.

Offline Profile E-mail Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:59 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: subforti
PSN Gamer Tag: subforti
Twitter Username: @mikejaydavies
Steam Tag: subforti
I had to do this for some poxy Mass Effect 2 DLC. I don't have a wired connection in my room so I just thought that I could shove my HDD into my bro's 360 and download them that way -- turns out that you can't.

It really is a ballache but the above video is what I followed to sort out the problem. You can only do it once every 12 months though (apparently), so make sure you're not going to buy a new one before that!

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:58 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Benjo321
PSN Gamer Tag: Benjo321
Twitter Username: Benjo321
The process is easy enough but a little tedious. Just follow the link you posted and there's an option to start the transfer process ( https://live.xbox.com/Flows/BeginFlow.a ... seTransfer )
Just follow the instructions and pick the console you want your drm to be transferred onto. When it's all finished you'll have to go to your download history on your 360 and re-download them all again! Don't worry, if you have the content on your hard drive already it just downloads the updated license details

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:42 pm 

Thanks one and all for your replies.

It seems that none of you have had any problems with those links...

My problem is that when I go to http://www.xbox.com/drm I get an obnoxious error page saying (and this is a direct quote) "Oooops! What happened to this page? We've moved some things around.". I can't put into words how fed up I am with seeing that bloody message... I get the same thing when I use the links within xbox.com's FAQs as well.

So I can only imagine that the problem has something to do with my internet browser. I use the latest version of Firefox so, Microsoft being Microsoft, maybe I'm not allowed access to that part of the site unless I use Internet Explorer...

I'm on my lunch break now so I haven't got much time to muck around with different things but my next step will be to see if it's possible to download Microsoft Silverlight for Firefox. I seem to remember having problems with some other Silverlight-enabled website a while back.

Thanks again for all your help and advice. Any further advice would be gratefully received. I think I'm best described as technologically semi-literate which is sometimes worse than having no idea whatsoever...

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:47 pm 

UPDATE:

Just clicked on the link in Benjo's reply and ... it worked!

Can't describe how relieved I am! Should have time to get this whole thing sorted out during my lunch break and then I may finally be able to play some games after I get home from my second shift this evening.

Cheers, Benjo! Love ya ... in a non-sexual, completely masculine way.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:13 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Benjo321
PSN Gamer Tag: Benjo321
Twitter Username: Benjo321
Nice one, that drm link worked fine for me, but things are known to be a bit funky whenever Microsoft changes the look and feel of xbox.com, so it doesn't surprise me!

Offline Profile E-mail