Podcast     Twitter     Facebook     Xbox 360 Deals     Playstation Deals     Nintendo Deals     PC & Mobile Deals     All Latest Deals 

Last visit was: It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Router required....
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:36 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Noz UK
PSN Gamer Tag: Noz_UK
Twitter Username: Noz_UK
Steam Tag: Noz_UK
Game Center Tag: Noz_UK
been having a few internet issues lately, and now only can put it down to the router itself, its a pretty crap one i got with plusnet, and not really had many issues, despite my NAT type is 3 on both PS3 and PS4, and just had a mare trying to join my son on Ghosts on PS3, as NAT was strict, and no matter what i tried on the ps3 and router could not even change the NAT type at all, and thats even disabling the firewall on the router itself!!!!!!

So basically im looking for a new router, so any recommendations from you guys????

I was looking a few months back at Apple, purely cos of my Mac, Ipad, Iphone etc, but guess i though i would throw the question out, and see what would suit me best, its gonna be basically used for Gaming, and even at some weekends with myself on PS4, i will potentially have another 3 PS3's connected at the same time via wireless, in the past it hasn't been an issue with my Thomson-Alcatel TG585v8, and all 4 consoles seem to run quite smootly, me on BF4, the others on Minecraft or FIFA or COD, but as mentioned just recently have been experiencing a few issues, and as there is no DMZ option on this router, i just want a decent router so i dont get any NAT 3 or NAT=STRICT etc.

cheers

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New Router required....
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:37 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: MakingUpNumbers
PSN Gamer Tag: MakingUpNumbers
Twitter Username: MakingUpNumbers
Steam Tag: MakingUpNumbers
Game Center Tag: MakingUpNumbers
You can't just replace it with a generic router, it'll have to work with PlusNet. Technically, you need a Modem/Router, or a Modem and a Router. Not sure what the deal is with PlusNet, I suggest you ring them up and tell them it's a duff/dodgy/crap router and see if they'll send you a better one. Say you're thinking of leaving and they'll probably jump to do something, hopefully.

Or, you can use their ModemRouter in modem-only mode (I assume it will do this, VirginMedia ones do), and connect a generic router to it, bypassing the bit that's giving you grief. In this way, you can use anything you like, like an Apple one. (I hear that Apple one's are supposed to be good).

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:09 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Benjo321
PSN Gamer Tag: Benjo321
Twitter Username: Benjo321
You should be able to use any off the shelf modem/router with Plusnet. I've always been able to use my own hardware with them on ADSL and now fibre. Just make sure you choose the right kind depending on which service you have!

They do provide one for £5.99 (the technicolor-582n which works for both ADSL and fibre and does have a DMZ option, but general reviews aren't that great).

If you want to buy your own you're into spending £40+ for anything remotely decent, usually the pricier ones just have better WiFi speed/range so depends what you need in that regard. I'd recommend something with Wireless N 300Mbps, like a Netgear DGN2200 for ADSL connections.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:16 am 

Highscores: 5
Xbox Gamer Tag: mannymann44
PSN Gamer Tag: mannny44
Twitter Username: mannymann
Is it ADSL or Fibre? I think you should just be able to pick one up as long as its a modem as well as a router. These things massively vary in price and most of the time its not that different.

I have a virgin Superhub and had to configure another router on my DMZ to get my NAT away from strict so it may just be a configuration issue rather than anything else

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:46 am 

yh im just on ADSL, i have used different model/routers (apologies, just normally say router) in the past with no issues, and tbh really not had any issues with this one til recently.

i have sent a support request to Plusnet to explain my issues, so will see what they say, but not having an option of DMZ on my current router/modem, i cant see what else they can do, well apart from replacing it.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:53 am 

Highscores: 5
Xbox Gamer Tag: mannymann44
PSN Gamer Tag: mannny44
Twitter Username: mannymann
Noz_UK wrote:
yh im just on ADSL, i have used different model/routers (apologies, just normally say router) in the past with no issues, and tbh really not had any issues with this one til recently.

Sorry we are just used to having to deal with UglyGeezer and the need to be exact :)

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:10 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: JEZ Blues
PSN Gamer Tag: jeblues
Twitter Username: Ian_Lennard
Steam Tag: JEBlues
I am on plus net and find the provided router very restrictive, if you look on the their forums you will find a firmware update that allows you to tweak it but you will need a windows pc to install it. I also have a mac and bought a time capsule with an airport base station in and unless you are on fibre you require a modem to connect it to the internet. My nat is type 2 so you could have a problem with your line

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:01 pm 

J E Blues wrote:
I am on plus net and find the provided router very restrictive, if you look on the their forums you will find a firmware update that allows you to tweak it but you will need a windows pc to install it. I also have a mac and bought a time capsule with an airport base station in and unless you are on fibre you require a modem to connect it to the internet. My nat is type 2 so you could have a problem with your line

Cheers for that, just checked forums and do have latest firmware already, was hoping it could be that, but only got a mac so would be buggered if it needed an upgrade.

Will see what Plusnet say and then go for there, but definatley looking like an upgrade of modem/router.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:12 am 

Plusnet replied with basically saying....."I can confirm that in order to fix a strict NAT on the PS3/PS4 you would need to ensure that your ports have been forwarded, this normally would fix such problems."

This was very helpful as my original message stated I have tried the following

1. forwarded all ports required for games
2. i have forwarded all ports in general
3. disabled firewall

but tonight i had another play with the modem/router, and even tho i have repeated everything i have done already, my PS4 is now showing Type 2 NAT!!!!, not checked PS3 yet, but Ghosts still shows NAT as Strict tho.

Hoping that plusnet will send a replacement router, even tho its probably going to be shite,

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:33 pm 

ok, quick update from plusnet

telnet router and type commands

:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=69
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3074
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3478-3479
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=88
saveall
exit

these were from MW3 for PS3/Xbox but have applied to my router and my PS4/PS3 is now showing Ghosts with NAT type as open :-D

I done this from Terminal on MAC btw, from my knowledge i think these are standard telnet commands, so in theory will work for any router, if someone who knows telnet could confirm this?

just gotta restart router to make sure it does save the changes.

Offline Profile E-mail