Podcast     Twitter     Facebook     Xbox 360 Deals     Playstation Deals     Nintendo Deals     PC & Mobile Deals     All Latest Deals 

Last visit was: It is currently Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sony Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:38 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: The Disco Bison
Twitter Username: cakeboy79
Steam Tag: themanytentacles
Game Center Tag: themanytentacles
Well, I got these on release day from Amazon for £73.99, although they can now be had from Gamestop for a shade under £60. At both prices they're well worth it. As a cautionary note, for anyone about to order from Amazon they're now on there for a gnat's cock under £150. I'd hesitate to recommend them for that price as they don't have all the features that a similar Turtle Beach one and they're only really useful for Sony products

I've only used them for a couple of hours so far and I have been very impressed with them. My last headset, the PX21s, didn't have virtual surround like these do and you can really notice the difference. I found playing Call of Duty a lot easier as I could tell where the shooting was coming from. Whether or not, it will actually transfer into me becoming an uber gamer, only time will tell.

The headset feels nice and weighty and it's comfortable to wear. After about 90 minutes it wasn't bothering me at all, although I wear a head set at work so I'm used to having something on my head and round my ears. For someone not accustomed to it, there might be a difference. The earpieces sit nicely over the whole ear and as they're not noise cancelling you can still hear when the wife is shouting at you. I haven't tried using the chat yet as the only online game I've tried was COD and I didn't fancy communicating with the pre-pubescent feral children that were on when I was, but voice comms come through nicely. There's a switch to vary the volume for chat and game audio so you can filter it out if you're feeling antisocial.

The headset says it will only work with PS3, PS4 and the Vita. I tried to plug the aux cable into the iPad last night to see if it would interact with Skype at all, but it doesn't. When you plug the aux cable into the headset, it turns the wireless function off as it drops the connection to the PS4. I assume this a battery saving measure if you're using the Vita which doesn't support wireless or if you want to use them with an iPod (other mp3 players are available, but they'e shit so don't bother :-D ) It's a touch irritating, but for me it's no bother to run an earpiece under the headset from my handsfree kit and use the Skype on my phone. The earpieces are large enough that it didn't bother me at all, or maybe my ears just have big holes.

The packaged charging cable is short, very short so don't expect to be able to play whilst you're charging them up. There's enough cable to just about lie the headset on top of the console so you'd be viewing your TV from a funny angle and you'd probably get a neck ache. That said, as it's a micro USB connection you can use the charging cable for the controller which gives you a little more reach.

It all comes in a nice box, obviously Sony have been taking lessons from Apple here, although they have a little to learn as everything is still wrapped in plastic bags. There's a storage pouch included which the headphones fold into nicely along with the dongle and cables. The whole thing gives off an air of quality.

On current usage, I would give them 9/10. It looses a mark for not being able to use Skype at the same time, but it's not a insurmountable problem for me. I appreciate it might be a deal breaker for other users, but hell this my review and I like them

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sony Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:06 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: dutch1585
PSN Gamer Tag: dutch1585
Twitter Username: dutch1585
Good review, I have pre ordered these from Gamestop, looking forward to getting them, only read good things about them, never owned a gaming headset before so hoping these are worth it.

Currently own and play: PS4, PS3, PS2, PSOne, PSVita, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Mega Drive, Mega CD, Sega Game Gear, Sega Master System, Nintendo 64, Wii, Wii U and Xbox 360

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:43 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Tenchkov
PSN Gamer Tag: Tenchkov
Twitter Username: Tenchkov
Thanks for the review! When I finally get my PS4 I'll definitely consider these now - I had been put off official headsets by the terribly uncomfortable bluetooth headset Sony released (and I bought) for the PS3.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:08 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Noz UK
PSN Gamer Tag: Noz_UK
Twitter Username: Noz_UK
Steam Tag: Noz_UK
Game Center Tag: Noz_UK
Thanks for the review, been considering getting these, ive got PX21's but just tend to use them on MAC for skype, so would be nice to get a wireless headset, and have now ordered from Gamestop :-D

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:59 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Ugly Geezer
PSN Gamer Tag: UglyGeezer
Twitter Username: UglyGeezer
Steam Tag: UglyGeezer
If it comes with a wire (or has a connection for one) to go into the PS4 controller, you should be able to use Skype with it.

Offline Profile E-mail Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:27 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Benjo321
PSN Gamer Tag: Benjo321
Twitter Username: Benjo321
UglyGeezer wrote:
If it comes with a wire (or has a connection for one) to go into the PS4 controller, you should be able to use Skype with it.

But it says in the review that it drops the wireless connection to the PS4 when you use the aux cable

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:42 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Ugly Geezer
PSN Gamer Tag: UglyGeezer
Twitter Username: UglyGeezer
Steam Tag: UglyGeezer
I didn't read it ! :lol:

Offline Profile E-mail Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:29 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: MakingUpNumbers
PSN Gamer Tag: MakingUpNumbers
Twitter Username: MakingUpNumbers
Steam Tag: MakingUpNumbers
Game Center Tag: MakingUpNumbers
If it uses Bluetooth to talk to a PS3, can you sync it with an iPad/PC?

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:58 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: The Disco Bison
Twitter Username: cakeboy79
Steam Tag: themanytentacles
Game Center Tag: themanytentacles
It doesn't use Bluetooth from what I've read which is why it needs the USB dongle. Apparently, there's too much data being sent to use a Bluetooth connection.

UglyGeezer wrote:
I didn't read it ! :lol:
|_()

Offline Profile E-mail