Podcast     Twitter     Facebook     Xbox 360 Deals     Playstation Deals     Nintendo Deals     PC & Mobile Deals     All Latest Deals 

Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 2014 - A gaming review. bring plenty of coffee...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:03 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: bwortang
PSN Gamer Tag: bwortang
Twitter Username: bwortang
Steam Tag: bwortang
I thought I’d take some time and energy to go through 2014 and hopefully not bore you to tears in the process, It’s been a busy year gaming wise, with the rise of the next gen / gen1.5 vs PC master race and a huge amount of delayed games, releases, and released games which should have been delayed.

A bit of Bwortang background to start, game time these days is limited, at best I can get in 2-3 hours per night maybe 5 days a week, anymore than that and I crash out an invariably get a deserved kicking from the wife as I’m snoring at 7pm. Sometimes there is a rare treat of weekend daytime gaming but that’s usually with my boys in tow so it’s restricted to children s games which isn’t a major issue as they are getting quite handy with them, the downfall of this is sometimes they’ve got hold of titles they shouldn’t (Battlefield, Counterspy and GTA) but hopefully my security is now tight so the tiny hackers are currently subdued.

So my plan today was to list my games of 2014, give a brief detail of my experience with them and give them my frugal score out of 10, this score may not reflect your own views, it’s based on my gaming time, and value for money based on what I paid, so for example an excellent game for £20 may not score as good as an OK game for £5, where I spent more game time on the £5 game.

Hopefully with this some people will share their years games, throw me some agreeing comments, or call me a knob jockey for missing out on one of their games of 2014.

Either way, I’m cool.

To start the year I’m going to go back naturally, to the end of 2013, where a UK supply and demand issue meant I was a last gen peasant, until the 13th December, with the help of Lee and Manny, we applied cutting edge pressure tactics to make GAME Salisbury release me a Killzone bundle, along with a years PS+ subscription (which reminds me I need to renew at some point.

So without further interruption, here is my list..

Killzone ShadowFall either free of £350 (depends how you look at it 3 (out of 10)

KZ 3 gave us plenty of good gaming nights on the PS3 with the Frugal guys, 4 didn’t seem to provide any of that and seemed sluggish and slow, single player I got to the second level, got stuck and have never gone back to it.

Resogun free 8

The first PS+ game on the PS4 was a simple to pick up difficult to master sideways space shooter, it looked beautiful and for the price of the PS+ sub was an excellent quick pick up game whilst waiting for the release catalogue to bulk out.

Battlefield 4 £10 or £45 7

Depending on how you look at it, a lifesaver for those who purchased the last gen game were able to pick up the ps4 version for £10, bargain, or indeed it would have been if the game had worked, serious online gaming issues for most of 2014 has stopped this from being game of the year, and if it wasn’t for the Frugal Gaming community I don’t think I would have endured those difficult spells and sent it to the scrapheap. Either way I keep coming back to it and ironically now it is working fresher games have taken my attention. With 170 hours of online this year, it’s my most played game of 2014.

Assassins Creed 4 Blackflag £20 5

This game deserves way higher than a 5 rating, and I’m not sure how the deal came about but Frugal Gaming highlighted a bargain where the digital download could be picked up for ludicrously cheap, the reason it only scores a five is that I got as far as failing to keep up with 2 chaps carrying intel before I realised why this was my first buy into the franchise. Had 2 online sessions both of which I enjoyed but did not have a clue as to what the game plan was, kill your enemy?, nope, killed a civilian, you lose.. Next gen water does look amazing though...

COD Ghosts £30 with £10 next gen upgrade 6

I’ve been playing COD since COD began, really peaking my interest in the Modern Warfare era, I was going to give Ghosts a bye for the first time ever, but the boxing day sales and the promise of cheap upgrade came a calling. Story mode was it’s standard blockbuster movie grand scene after scene, but the multiplayer left me cold. Ghosts would have scored lower if it wasn’t for the fun to be had with Extinction mode, where myself, Tovraa, MrBaddog and Noz turned up regularly to fight the evil Cryptids, and we never did get away from those damn Rhino’s..

Need for Speed Rivals £33 6

At a time where I was grabbing what new gen I could, Amazon were running a quirky deal where they would give you a set trade in for PS3 games for a select number of ps4 games, bout NFS on ps3 for £20, sold it to Amazon for £37 and paid £13 extra for the PS4 version. Deal points aside, the first PS4 racer played ok, cars looked excellent, had minimal story line and the online was inexplicably capped at an ‘always on’ 6 player game Got through the cop campaign, didn’t bother with the robbers..

DayZ £20 7

Running Simulator 2014™ as it was coined, had several glitch issues from the start although these were as detailed when buying, we had several group sessions where we went in sign of Zombie murdering, sacking people over the head and plans of meeting up on a quiet server and switching out to cause trouble, invariably this left me either sniped from 2 clicks east or facefucked by an ever increasing gang of slutty Z’s. End result was always me, lost, holding down the sprint key trying to meet back up in an unpronounceable Russian town.

Rayman Legends £25 8

Craig Reynolds owns the commission on this sale, watching his twitch feed the pace and colour of Rayman and the backgrounds looked stunning, it also looked like a game I could co-op with the boys, this was true, but to ace the rounds and collect all the Teensies was a touch above their skill level. One of my favourites of the year.

Titanfall £26.50 6

I have to admit I got caught up in the hype of Titanfall, without a Xbox One the only way to play was through a PC purchase, and as retail released at half the price of the Xbox version this felt like value for money before I began. There wasn’t a story-line as such as much as they’d like to shout it at you, the mech’s were decent and flying across the maps at pace was refreshing, it just didn’t feel as revolutionary as they wanted me to believe, a small number of us made the PC purchase and maybe the score and the time I spent with it would have been higher if we’d had continued playing it. I did go back to it the other week on a co-op vs AI mode and that definitely had some appeal to it.

Payday 2 £20 10

My opinions on Payday should be well known, I have written a piece already for this site for my game of the year, this game has everything I need in it’s mechanics, the skill trees, those masks, if there is ever rumour of a Payday 3 then I’d be all over that like a horny Jack Russell after teatime.

Mario Kart 8 £35 9

It’s not acceptable to own a Wii U and not own Mario Kart 8, on it’s release it sent a shot of adrenaline to the U’s CPU. It may not have lept the console to Sony’s or Microsoft’s levels, but it gave the system a boost it desperately needed, Nintendo even capatalised on this by offering a free digital download of a small list of titles. The game itself is beautiful, how a MK game should be, plenty of cups to keep you going and the online multiplayer worked without issue on our sessions, there has also been DLC released which although I haven’t picked up yet, the promise of new characters and further tracks at a reasonable price will no doubt be purchased in early 15. Also another great game to play with the kids using the Wii mote’s and the cheap plastic steering wheels.

Nether £2.19 6

Nether was a DayZ alternative which had some interesting idea’s and game dynamics, a safe zone which at times is taken over by monsters which kept you on your toes, and then other players who would/could camp outside the safezone and pic you off as you zig-zag into the distance. I did enjoy the co-op element of this in our game sessions, and death not resulting in a 20 minute run was as refreshing as a Tequila Sunrise in August. Have not played this since April, so I’m looking forward to going back to see what’s changed in early 15.

The Ship Free 3

I don’t really want to degrade a free game with an interesting concept and did I mention it was free?, MrBaddog kindly spammed me a code and our one session left me confused and lost and confused, On a ship in the 1920’s, needing to kill a target without getting spotted, whilst also being a target another human player. The graphics were not great and I was generally poor at it, guess I’m just not cut out to be a 1920’s Poirot criminal.

Just Cause 2 Multiplayer £2 7

A free user created multiplayer upgrade to the Just Cause game, where a number I cannot even count to can generate havoc around Panau, it’s how GTA 5 online ought to have been, it is buggy and can be laggy, but where else in the world can you have a tractor powered demolition derby, on the hull of a blimp. I’ll tell you, no where.

Trials Fusion £15 7

This was the first trials game picked up on the back of Lee’s recommendation, an online leaderboard and opponent’s ghost was addictively moreish and frustrating in equal measure, I felt that an online mode was lacking, and this would definitely have added to the value and shelf life of the game. I’m just glad I didn’t stump up for the DLC pack which I think was an extra £15.

Broforce £8 10

This is a close second for my game of the year, I had my eye on it for a while and when an Independence day sale knocked it into the sweet spot I went in for the kill. The retro vibe of this game and the destructible scenery along with all your favourite 70’s/80’s heroes dealing damage; in a co-op environment whilst shouting USA and dry humping a bald Eagle cannot be beaten.

SpeedRunners £2 8

Picked up for a bargain £2, this is a 4 player competitive platformer, where the aim is to be the remaining runner on the screen using the ability to grapple, fire rockets and generally traverse a lap faster than your human friends, an excellent group game over Skype and the pace of the game means they are won and lost over a blink of an eye.

Minecraft £13 8

Picked up in a deal just before the PS4 release, where a sale on the PS3 offering allowed you a cheap upgrade for £4, this also allowed for the boys to play this on seperate machines if they were not getting on, which is worth a few points on its own. I don’t think I need to explain the marvel of Minecraft, as not knowing about it would suggest you live under a rock, and if that’s right then how are you reading this webpage?

COD Advanced Warfare £35 8

Another year, another COD, as inevitable as night following day, I climbed aboard again even after being slightly burnt with last years offering, set in mid 2050’s the future tech of the Exo suit, a Titanfallesque double jump and a tighter perk system grabbed my attention, I’ve still to complete the single player story, but have managed to prestige once online, which is more than can be said for the last few offerings. I’m going to stick with this one next year, as the online does have more to offer.

Pro Evolution Soccer 15 8

Another game where my review is available from this site, last gen I was swayed towards FIFA and as my evolution of soccer will tell previous to that I was Pro Evo through the PS2 generation, I think 15 has made good steps to rein in FIFA, and if they maintain their momentum and make the necessary changes the full package could see Konami regaining their crown at the top of the football pyramid.

Football Manager 15 £15 9

It’s most likely been said a thousand times over, but I’ve genuinely being playing CM/FM since 1992, it’s help hindered my education through school/college, broke up relationships and even close to losing a job over it, these days my self control is a bit more realistic, and where back in 2008 I was putting in 6-700 hours per release it has reduced year after year, due to free time and the complexity of each release, I long for the days of setting out Crewe in their 4-3-3 formation playing in the 2033 season, but these days I rarely get based season 3, but the slight tweeks and improvements year after year, keep me as a returning customer. Plus I have a semi pro striker friend who can get copies at a reasonable £15 per annum.

Destiny £45 7
I probably won’t get a lot of agreement over my score, unfortunately due to fund shortages I had to wait until my birthday in mid October before I was gifted Destiny, by that time I’d missed the boat on fireteams, and was left with a lonely single player with a piss poor story/non story whilst the elitists are having fun cooperatively kicking Alien ass. I can see the appeal in the ‘one more mission whilst I try out my new gun/helmet/boots, and that’s the only thing from dropping my score down lower.

DriveClub £30 6

This game brought a laughing stock to all involved, a supposed PS+ release title which still hasn’t come to fruition and had server issues for those who even paid for the title. The news of Project Cars being delayed left me with a driving hole that needed filling, so I foolishly went in with a stack of coins. At the point of writing the game now works and the weather effects are stunning, which the promise of club challenges this could add a bit of competitive spice to the game, Club limit of 6 is abysmal in all honesty, I’m just hoping they haven’t left it too long that people will not even give it a glance when it does hit the PS+ market, and that the release doesn’t crash and burn.

So that’s the games I’ve played, I’d like to add a small mention to titles picked up, but have either added to the pile of shame, or I’ve invested less than an hour or two into them to give them a valid or accurate scoring..., so the list, if you are still with me....

Watch Dogs £22.50
Picked this up for PC even after a so so beta test, was stuttering like MJ Fox as soon as I got into a car so I removed it from the HD and have never returned.

Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare £14
Picked this up in the Summer thinking there was a co op mode but it appears this was restricted to the Xbox One, it was planned to play this with the boys but because of this It’s hardly been played. Rubbing salt into the wound my eldest Jacob went on a Xbox store hacking rage and whilst I managed to get refunds on GTA 4 and 5, they wouldn’t refund me GW on the 360, which later turned out to be a kick in the nads as I’d let my Live run out and therefore the game was worthless. Have recently played this on the PS4 with the EA freebie, and it is good fun, so I expect to play more of it in 2015, maybe not Tovraa levels of more, but a few sessions.

Grid AutoSport £15
Picked this up in the summer, looked very nice, ran smoothly, was quite difficult which I appreciated for a racing game, but things got in the way and it hasn’t been picked up since.

Company of Heroes 2 £12
Picked up in a spring sale, old GFX card threw a wobbly and blue screened and even after changing my card I’ve been too frightened to go back...

The Bureau = XCOM declassified
Loved the old XCOM games, picked this up and it’s never been installed.

BulletStorm £3.74
Picked this up after some game footage on that VGN games show on Saturday morning, not installed it yet..

Shadowrun Returns £2.74 Not installed.
Deus Ex Human Revolution £7 Not installed
Max Payne 3 £7.98 Not installed
Space Suit Zero - Directors cut £2.74 not installed
Civilization Beyond Earth £17.99 Played half a round so far, looks good, definitely going to pick it up in 2015, probably.
Wasteland 2 £14 Played the first 30 minutes, definitely enjoyed it, will hopefully be back.
Diablo 3 £9 Have always wanted to pick up a Diablo game, I’ve got as far as installing, but then never dived in, one for 2015?
Elite Dangerous £35 just released this week, having some major installation issues at the moment, hoping to jump in next year to relieve some of the Eve Online cravings.
Little Big Planet 3 £50 Only just picked this up, looks like an updated 2, plenty of fun to be had in co-op with the boys.

Finally I’d finish with those games that got away, some may say there wasn’t enough gaming hours for me to play the games I did buy, which is true, but that doesn’t stop me keeping a beady eye on the Frugal Twitter feed for that bite your arm of deal...

Diablo 3 - the PS4 version was in Tesco’s for £30 recently, I’ll hopefully get on the PC version at some point and if it grabs my interest I may make a purchase.

Last of Us Remastered - Played and completed on PS3, so not sure double dipping would be of any benefit.

GTA 5 - May pick this one up in the new year sales, the PS3 version still had plenty to give but with the new gen knocking on the door after completing the story mode online progression faded away, along with any news of the promised heists.

Far Cry 4 - FC3 didn’t really grab me, and it did look like a next gen HD remake, watching some twitch feed’s and screenshots has picked up my interest though, so again if winter sales throw me a bone maybe I’ll pick it up.

Shadow of Mordor - Completely passed me by, in all honesty probably not my type of game, but I would have liked to see what all the fuss was about.

Alien Isolation - This is my favourite franchise of all time, unfortunately for me horror games make me either freeze or jump, which is why I’ve never played Deadspace, I’ve managed to catch the storyline through YouTube walkthroughs, and although the game is probably longer than it needed to be, it captures the film and universe perfectly.

Well that’s it, if you made it this far that’s 3500 words that you’ll never get back, happy to hear any thoughts views arguments and even your own thoughts on 2014, and hopefully I haven’t bored you to death or made you reach for your rifle in the style of Private Pyle.

Peace out. My Frugal friends.

Last edited by bwortang on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 2014 - A gaming review. bring plenty of coffee...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:26 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: Mr Baddog 28
PSN Gamer Tag: Mrbaddog28
Twitter Username: Mrbaddog28
Steam Tag: Mrbaddog28
Fantastic write up buddy, heaven knows where you found the time !!

Far Cry 4 is well worth a look, fantastic game maybe a little similar to 3, but for me that is a good a thing.

Shadow of Mordor is one of my favourite games of the year, wasn't expecting too much, but it is the Assassins Creed game I've always wanted, the nemesis system is a master-stroke and will likely be copied for some time to come.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:02 am 

Cheers!, was a few hours put into it but enjoyed writing it up, have to eat the A4 it was written on as if the wife finds out the real cost of gaming my knackers are in the vice.

Farcry, shadow and GTA are on the Boxing Day watch list for sure.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:03 pm 

Highscores: 5
Xbox Gamer Tag: mannymann44
PSN Gamer Tag: mannny44
Twitter Username: mannymann
Nice write up mate. I honestly don't know where you get the time/energy for this and indeed gaming 5 nights a week. Hats off to you dude.

I have missed most of the games this year. It has been my least active year since I started on Frugal. I am just finding it hard to find the time to fit it in. However if you can do it then I am going to push myself to get back into it

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:04 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: sniperste77
PSN Gamer Tag: sniperste77
Twitter Username: @sniperste77
Steam Tag: sniperste77
Game Center Tag: sniperste77
Great write up bwortang :)
Titanfall is fun but only now n again for me. I love the speed of play and the precision of the gameplay. Cod aw tried to replicate this and failed.

Ghosts was fun but peeps seemed to stop plating it quickly.

Diablo 3 is awesome in co-op and still good fun in sp.

Bf4 was fun for a bit however; the lag just got on my ti#s after time.

Best new gen game for me thus far is DragonAge Inquisition.... Mp is fun but limited... Sp is huge, funny and massively addictive. It is everything I hoped for and more.

Shadow of mordor. I thought this was a great game however; about 20 hours in I lost my patience with a couple of glitches and sold it. (Shame cos it was bloody good)

Driveclub... Shame on you but it is FINALLY getting there and I enjoy playing it from time to time.

Contrast was one of my fave games of the year on ps4. Free if memory serves at the time and absolutely brilliant.
Also on ps4.... Valiant Hearts was amazing game and I would highly recommend it to all.

Rain on ps3 was also a fave fpr the year.

Watch Dogs was HUGELY disappointing :(

You're so ugly, even a sniper wouldn't take you out

Twitter: @sniperste77

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:08 am 

mannymann wrote:
Nice write up mate. I honestly don't know where you get the time/energy for this and indeed gaming 5 nights a week. Hats off to you dude.

I have missed most of the games this year. It has been my least active year since I started on Frugal. I am just finding it hard to find the time to fit it in. However if you can do it then I am going to push myself to get back into it

Cheers!, I do wonder myself how I carry on, an then with the instant regrets when the alarm goes off just after 5.

I think probably 90% of my gaming now is done co op now, the other 10% if Football manager!
Most of that is down to the social aspect, after moving away don't have any local friends anymore to be chatting games an whatever, so having the friendly chats with the Frugals I guessed replaced that, an Lou don't talk games. :cry:

It depends if you got other things on too, I stopped the football a few years back which freed up some energy, looking forward to what 2015 brings!

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:15 am 

sniperste77 wrote:
Great write up bwortang :)
Titanfall is fun but only now n again for me. I love the speed of play and the precision of the gameplay. Cod aw tried to replicate this and failed.

Ghosts was fun but peeps seemed to stop plating it quickly.

Diablo 3 is awesome in co-op and still good fun in sp.

Bf4 was fun for a bit however; the lag just got on my ti#s after time.

Best new gen game for me thus far is DragonAge Inquisition.... Mp is fun but limited... Sp is huge, funny and massively addictive. It is everything I hoped for and more.

Shadow of mordor. I thought this was a great game however; about 20 hours in I lost my patience with a couple of glitches and sold it. (Shame cos it was bloody good)

Driveclub... Shame on you but it is FINALLY getting there and I enjoy playing it from time to time.

Contrast was one of my fave games of the year on ps4. Free if memory serves at the time and absolutely brilliant.
Also on ps4.... Valiant Hearts was amazing game and I would highly recommend it to all.

Rain on ps3 was also a fave fpr the year.

Watch Dogs was HUGELY disappointing :(

Yea not sure what happened with Ghosts, it just disappeared.

BF4's lag was the most frustrating thing ever, still ended up playing every Sunday night even when I was getting destroyed by unfair kills.

Not been to involved with DA, might give it a lookup!

Contrast was never going to get played by me, no good with jump scares!

Might check out VH too, not familiar with that one.

An finally, I don't know what I was thinking with Watchdogs, probably my worst purchase of the year.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:13 am 

Watch Dogs caught out a lot of peeps. Some still enjoyed it but after a small number of hours of play I just couldn't bring myself to play it anymore. Had a bit of fun with the mp but it needed to be so much more.

Contrast is not a scare game.
One of the best puzzlers I have played. Cool story and atmosphere throughout and really original feeling.

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:04 am 

Haha!, stupid long day here was thinking of Outlast! :lol:

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:36 am 

Lol. No. Very different games.
Valiant hearts been on sale a few times. Well worth getting. I paid full price and did not regret it one bit. Check u tune to make sure its ur sorta thing first tho.

Offline Profile E-mail