Podcast     Twitter     Facebook     Xbox 360 Deals     Playstation Deals     Nintendo Deals     PC & Mobile Deals     All Latest Deals 

Last visit was: It is currently Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you spend too much on gaming?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:41 pm 

Highscores: 3
Xbox Gamer Tag: Frugal Daz
PSN Gamer Tag: BigSin1977
Twitter Username: FrugalDaz
Steam Tag: Frugal Daz
Game Center Tag: Frugal Daz
Video games are an expensive hobby, even with the help of our superstar deal hunters. I know in the past I have spent way too much on gaming and I wondered if you folks think you spend too much on this stuff?

Obviously the level of disposable income varies from person to person, so really it's more of a question of do you spend more than you can comfortably afford?

I know that feeling when all these games are due out and you're trying to buy everything, it's a hard hobby to keep up with.

Have you had to set yourself rules when buying, like only buying pre-owed or picking games up once they are a few months old?

I have gone more towards waiting for games to drop in price, rather than trying to buy everything the day it comes out.

Let us know your thoughts

Offline Profile E-mail Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Do you spend too much on gaming?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:00 pm 

Highscores: 5
Xbox Gamer Tag: mannymann44
PSN Gamer Tag: mannny44
Twitter Username: mannymann
Personally I don't think I spend more than I can afford. It's not cheap by any stretch but as my main hobby/pastime it's not that expensive if I budget correctly.

I compare it to when I played American football. I would spend £200 on a helmet, £120 on shoulder pads every 3 years. On top of this I would buy new boots and gloves at £50 and £30 every year as well as around another £50 per year of training clothing. I compare this to my hardware costs (currently my PS4, controllers and headset). I would then pay £200 per year of team subs, not to mention away trips would in general would cost me another £100. I pay £15 per month on Boomerang and £35ish for PS+. Chuck in a few games I buy on Day 1 and I am about the same costs.

I can see how you could over spend, especially if you were a PC gamer and constantly wanting to play on Ultra settings but I am happy in the place I am with my PS4

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:28 pm 

PSN Gamer Tag: KJDellow
Twitter Username: eneaux
In my current state of being a massive cripple (not really, I'm just super unable to work due to reasons), I've spent a lot of time gaming in the last two years but recently I've burnt right out.

I tend to pick games up once they've depreciated a little, unless it's a game I really really want and then I'll get it day one but thanks to connections I get a cheeky discount on most purchases anyway.

I am tempted to splurge on Dying Light though, it looks pretty damn good.

mannymann wrote:
Just give me a good time

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:44 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: bwortang
PSN Gamer Tag: bwortang
Twitter Username: bwortang
Steam Tag: bwortang
I've spent too much.. Probably only realised after my 2014 game review which didn't even include games I bought which didn't even install or maybe even redeem the codes for.

PayPal is too easy, a few clicks and done deal, if the wife had access to my credit card statement I'd be sans testicles.

Trying to make a concerted effort this year to hold back, it's working to an extent.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:45 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: ContraryRhombus
PSN Gamer Tag: ContraryRhombus
Twitter Username: ContraryRhombus
I will set myself a limit of maybe a game month. And if one doesn't come out, the money "saved" doesn't roll over. Recently though I have been trying a new system of rent it and see if I play it. Saves me buying something at full price, not playing, then trading it in for a fraction of the price. Only things I'm going to be buying moving forward are strong multiplayer games and rental games I really like. Plus, I can just buy ex-rental from boomerang or wait for cheapy cheap

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:39 pm 

Xbox Gamer Tag: tovraa
PSN Gamer Tag: tovraa
Twitter Username: tovraa
Steam Tag: tovraa
I buy about 3 or 4 triple AAA games and the rest is from PSN+ and rentals (that might change as I hate Boomerang games right now)

It is always good to get a decent battlefield or cod in the year as that will be the main game I will play for the year

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:12 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: SXFOXSTAR
Twitter Username: SXFOXSTAR
Steam Tag: SXFoxstar
I always stretch my budget for games, I've had to tone it right down with the birth of my daughter but I still get the itch to buy a new game when I have some I've not even touched. It probably explains some of my hideous credit card statements over the years!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I Like XboxOne, I Don't Judge You, Don't Judge Me, Gamers Unite!

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:42 am 

Xbox Gamer Tag: dutch1585
PSN Gamer Tag: dutch1585
Twitter Username: dutch1585
I spend a fair amount on gaming, but always what I can afford. I buy physical games and pretty much sell them on once I have completed them, only a few I keep as I know that if I do want to play the game again a year or so down the line I can buy it back for a fraction of the cost.
Also, using Frugal I never spend full price on new games, always manage to find a code or a deal to get it that bit cheaper.

Currently own and play: PS4, PS3, PS2, PSOne, PSVita, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Mega Drive, Mega CD, Sega Game Gear, Sega Master System, Nintendo 64, Wii, Wii U and Xbox 360

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:19 pm 

PSN Gamer Tag: walcalr01
Twitter Username: walcalr01
Steam Tag: walcalr01
I'm kind of thinking about renting games so I can save my wallet in the hunt for pc parts so I thought about signing up with Boomerang for the 3 week trial but how are they on delivery times and game library?

My gaming youtube check it out: https://www.youtube.com/user/walcalr01/videos

Offline Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:49 pm 

Highscores: 5
Xbox Gamer Tag: mannymann44
PSN Gamer Tag: mannny44
Twitter Username: mannymann
walcalr01 wrote:
I'm kind of thinking about renting games so I can save my wallet in the hunt for pc parts so I thought about signing up with Boomerang for the 3 week trial but how are they on delivery times and game library?

I've been using them for years. They went through a small spell between overwhelming demand and then the "hack" but I've had no problems.

Depending on what you level you sign up for I thing determines what you can get. I am on Priority 2 (2 games at a time, priority when new games are released). This pretty much allows me to get any title on release day as long as I have a space.

As for delivery, mostly next day (depends mainly on your post)

Offline Profile E-mail